Monday, August 3, 2020

How to Make Kefir Taste Good


Kefir is really a no brainer to do.

It is so easy that I feel silly to be posting this recipe here. However I did think it was a good idea to post on how to make kefir taste good because kefir can taste a bit odd, let's be honest.  

To make kefir you simply need kefir grains, which is a culture, and milk.  It looks basically like a mini couliflower and you can get these at organic stores, etc. With time, especially during summer, they grow so much and then you can give them to your friends.  

To make kefir, simply put the grains in a jar and add milk and leave it outside for a day. That's it. It ferments the milk and produces kefir. Now just sieve the grains through a strainer and that's it, you have your kefir-milk done for you. Now put it in the fridge to cool off which will improve the consistency too and make it more like liquid yoghurt.

I would say one heaped tablespoon of kefir ferments perfectly fine in a 250 ml or a glass of milk in 24 hours.  During the summer I would say the fermentation time is cut in half, that is in about 12 hours your kefir is ready. Now to my point. How do you make kefir taste good?

1. Firstly I would say here that kefir is very much an acquired taste. 

The first 2 weeks of making kefir, I threw so much away! liters of milk basically, but slowly I started liking it more and more because it is a very tarry acidic taste that you simply get used to with time, just like with wine or beer.

2. Second fermentation really helps. 

And what is second fermentation? Simply add a peel of a lemon, or a slice of lemon, or a slice of an orange, of grapefruit etc. and stick in the fridge I like second fermentation with citrics because it matches the acidity and makes it more vibrant. But you can put any fruit really.

3. Blend it with bananas.

 And if you really want your kefir to taste really good and sweet and yummy, add bananas and make a smoothie with your kefir. Bananas go incredibly well with kefir because of the sugars they have....it will taste super yummy, and not like kefir at all. This is probably the best recipe I read out there.

4. Now do not have way too much.

Kefir is a very strong drink with many probiotics and all that. However, you cannot have too much or you will simply live in the bathroom. I have about 3 or 4 sips after I get back from running every day, but that's it, I would not have more than that because it is very strong. Also, sieve the grains well and do not eat the grains unless you want to have gut problems.


No comments:

Post a Comment