Sunday, August 30, 2020

How to Make Sour Cream



Sour cream is not easy to recreate. I have found it the hardest of all the experiments I have been doing. But you can create something similar to the stuff you find in supermarkets in the USA. I have done 3 experiments and so far this has been the most convincing one. I am open to better recipes you all, if you have any. Consistency wise I was happy but flavour not so much. Also you do not need lemon and vinegar as some recipes call, vinegar is way too much in my view for sour cream, even lemon can be too much, but yes with lemon is the best I have found.

Anyway, this is my recipe for now 

INGREDIENTS:

-200 Ml of double cream (nata de montar with 36% fat).
-2 tablespoons of lemon juice.


STEPS:
1. Add the lemon to the cream in a bowl and stir with energy.
2. Let it sit for 24 hours (in the winter I put it near my heating, around 20 degrees, otherwise it will not ferment).
3. The following day just stir it all again and now put in fridge for a few hours.
4. That's it. It will have thicken quite a bit. Now  add caster sugar if you want, a tiny, but it is not necessary.  

Not perfect, I know, but at least in case you need it, you can recreate it. I used it for a dessert and it was real good.

No comments:

Post a Comment