Wednesday, March 3, 2021

How to make Coconut Milk--Jamaican way



 I was seriously surprised today when I realized I could make coconut milk with this Jamaican recipe. Oh yeah!  

This is one satisfying recipe you all. Trust me. And as you all know I am anti clutter in the kitchen and I don't even have a food processor but will go to the ends of the world with my hand mixer or batidora in Spanish.

Well, really, that is all you need to make coconut milk, apart from the coconut, that is and some water. Here it is.

INGREDIENTS:
-1 coconut.
-4 cups of water.

STEPS:
1. Break the coconut after you have drank the juice. I always break mine on the stone step of my house. Give it a good whack against a rock and it should crack.
2. Now break it more with a hammer. I use a blanket to absorb the impact and not break my kitchen table.
3. Lift the coconut up with a knife from the tough shell. It is not the easiest but not the hardest.
4. Now cut up coconut with a sharp knife in small pieces.
5. Place in plate and soften it up in microwave for 2 minutes.

6. Now in 2 batches, get your hand mixer and add 2 cups of water and half of the coconut cut in pieces and blend. Do the same with the second batch. 
7. Now strain the coconut with a metal strainer. I find this the easiest way, do it little by little. 

8. Now you will have a ton of coconut pulp (see my recipe for coconut pulp), so put it on a clean cloth and strain even more with a bowl underneath. 
9. Now put milk in jason mar and stick in fridge, it will start to solidify like it does in the cans on the top. It is amazing. 

Amazing! Often the best recipes come from rural places like this recipe from Jamaica. 

Thank you so much!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment